Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) is the use of medications such as methadone, suboxone, naltrexone or buprenorphine, in conjunction with behavioral health counseling, to provide a whole person approach to the treatment of opioid dependence. Research has demonstrated that the combination of medication and behavioral therapies is most successful when treating substance-use disorders (SAMHSA). River City’s MAT program is regulated by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA), Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Joint Commission (JCAHO).

*This service is only offered at our 13100 Mountain Road location.

Common Questions

  • Is using a form of Medication Assisted Treatment simply swapping one drug for another?

    • No. A person enrolled in a MAT program is committed to stopping harmful and destructive addictive behavior through the use of approved and monitored treatment which maintains each individual and allows them to lead more productive lives. Addiction often destroys not only individual lives, but also the lives of friends and family for the one who is addicted. MAT programs offer hope and provide a means for individuals to return to a better quality of life.

  • If I start a Medication Assisted Treatment will I be taking opioids for the rest of my life?

    • No. Both methadone and suboxone (two commonly used medications in a Medication Assisted Treatment program) can be taken safely for a long period of time when properly maintained through medical and behavioral health professionals. Safe withdrawal from MAT medications is possible and encouraged for many clients and may be done under the supervision of your treating physician. Ongoing and continued behavioral health counseling is recommended post-treatment.

Program Handbook:

If you are interested in learning more about River City’s Opioid Treatment Program, you can view our Program Handbook here.



Integrated care is “the systematic coordination of general and behavioral healthcare. Integrating mental health, substance abuse, and primary care services produces the best outcomes and proves the most effective approach to caring for people with multiple healthcare needs.” *

Evidence shows that integrating primary care and behavioral health services can improve patients’ physical and mental health outcomes while also helping to control costs.

Direct coordination between primary care providers and behavioral health care providers like River City Comprehensive Counseling Services has been shown to:

– Reduce emergency room utilization

– Reduce inpatient admissions

– Improve physical and behavioral health outcomes for patients

– Ensure that patients attend follow up appointments

– Connect patients with community resources to prevent future “super-user” activity

– Reduce overall costs of patient care

*quote courtesy of SAMHSA


Our Mental Health Skill Building service starts with a comprehensive assessment and development of an .  You will be assigned to a counselor that will meet with you in your home or out in the community.  Your counselor will provide services including but not limited to: support and coping strategies for your mental health condition, medication management and education, activities of daily living,  and links to community resources.  Your counselor will serve as your advocate, and is fully committed to helping you achieve stability and balance in your life.

“An internship is a form of learning that combines the knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with a real-world setting.”

River City believes that real learning comes from real world experiences. In our internship program, River City provides experiential learning opportunities that integrate the knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. We welcome and work with students of all ages from all walks of life. Providing internship programs allows allows River City the opportunity to evaluate and guide talent while students are given the opportunities to learn how to be human service professionals.


Intern positions include the following minimum qualifications:

– Attending an accredited institution and enrolled in classes on campus or online

– 4th year undergraduate or 1st/2nd year graduate student

– Minimum of six months of in-field experience

– Minimum GPA of 2.5

– Access to personal and reliable vehicular transportation and insurance

– Access to personal laptop with wireless capability

– Must be able to complete all background checks and necessary paperwork, certifications and training

*All interns must be willing to participate in direct service activities to be eligible.

Apply now!

To apply for a summer internship, submit a completed web form along with your résumé, cover letter, unofficial transcript and the contact information for 2-3 professional or academic references to the Training and Professional Development Coordinator. Your cover letter should include three areas of interest and how an internship at River City will impact your future career and/or academic goals.

Official transcripts, letters of recommendation or other supplemental materials may be emailed to the Training and Professional Development Coordinator or mailed to River City:

Attn: Mary Culp

River City CCS

13100 Mountain Road

Glen Allen, VA 23059

River City offers a variety of customizable solutions to increase workplace and personal efficiency.  Our experienced professionals can come to you and lead dynamic workshops on a variety of issues affecting employees and their performance in the workplace.  Everything can be customized to suit your needs, but some topics include managing stress, developing stronger interpersonal relationships, and conflict resolution. We are also available to provide on-site counseling after a tragedy in the workplace, such as the death of a co-worker or large layoffs.  Other services available to help your employees include substance abuse assessments and drug screening.

We also offer supervision for those working towards being licensed as an  or .

The Veteran’s Employment Program at River City serves our veterans by assisting them with all aspects of the job search process. We work with participants to overcome many of the barriers that have made finding meaningful employment difficult. Each participant is assessed to determine their unique needs, and services range from resume assistance to mental health counseling. The program operates a drop in assistance center Monday-Friday, where participants can stop by without appointments to use computers, get assistance with job searches, practice interview skills, and get help from skilled case managers, among other things. Once a participant has found employment, our case managers will continue to work with them as they navigate the transition, aiding in any additional training or supportive services that may be required. Program participants are also encouraged to take part in our bi-weekly “Lunch N’ Learn” series, featuring guest speakers and employment representatives from the area.

Crisis Stabilization is designed for individuals experiencing a severe decline in their mental and emotional well being.  It is intended to prevent hospitalization or re-hospitalization by providing a stable environment with a high level of support services.  Individuals participating in Crisis Stabilization will receive individual and family counseling, 24-hour on call support, and will be connected with community resources to meet their immediate needs.


Intensive In-Home (IIH) counseling is a service for children and adolescents who are at risk of an out of home placement, or transitioning back into the home following a psychiatric hospitalization or other out of home placement.  Individuals receiving IIH counseling often have severe behavioral issues affecting their ability to function in school, at home, and in the community.  Your counselor will provide individual and family counseling, case management, and support services in the child’s residence.  At least one parent must be a willing participant.  Most individuals wishing to participate in IIH counseling must first have a assessment, unless certain criteria are met.  Please contact us for more information on VICAP assessments.